Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated

So here I am writing my first post on How We Get Along With Each Other in A Shopping Environment. I have been writing and rewriting this post and that is why it has taken me an extra two days to actually publish it. Plus I am having problems with my adsense ads on this blog. I cannot get them to show up correctly.

First I would like to say that most of the customers are pretty decent and some are really great. I have people who are regulars and come in at least once a week if not more. Of course there are those who seem to be there almost every day. I believe that some of the customers
come just because they have made friends with the associates (that is what the employees are called now in most stores, I believe, unless they are management). Many of the customers remember us from the old store which makes us feel good because it means we hopefully made a good impression on them in the first place. It also means that many customers now come to this store because of the associates.

Sometimes I wonder if many of these people are lonely and it is a way to get out of the house and be around familiar faces. We really do get to know some of our customers quite well. Also, we find out a lot about them because they will come with others in the family or friends and we see how they are around those they are closest with.

I hate to say it but sometimes how the day starts sets the pattern for the day. If I get a customer who is really happy and really nice my day can go really well. But start a day off with one of those women who treats everyone as if they are their personal maids or those who just are plain rude and nasty to just about everyone that they come in contact with, my day goes downhill really quick. But usually it only takes a few really nice customers to get me back in a good mood.

I have customers who come in to the Fitting Room and if I ask them to hang their clothes on the rack so I can count them I will get a response like 'I can count'. Then I have to tell them I still need to count them also. Then there are those who say 'I have eight items' (eight being the max that they can take it at one time) and I tell them I still have to count the items and when I do there are ten or twelve items instead of eight. And they will act dumbfounded, as if they counted eight when they knew they had more. I really get peeved when the customers treat us as if we are stupid, yet they can not even count the items they have correctly. It just really amazes me how silly people can be at times.

I always try to treat people like I want to be treated. I always try to be considerate and polite to everyone even when I am not treated that way. Sometimes being kind and polite will help turn the person who is in a foul mood or being rude around and they will start treating others better after that.

So, please, again, just treat people as well as you want to be treated and it will work in your favor most of the time. People do appreciate a kind word and a nice smile more often than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment